Saturday, June 16, 2012

All About Invisalign

All about Invisalign!  Here are some pros and cons, tips and tricks for anyone reading this who's thinking about getting Invisalign.

It's now my third week of Invisalign, and I'm on my second set of trays.  They were super tight when I put them in, which is uncomfortable, but I kinda like it because I can feel it working.  And I swear, my front teeth have already moved.  Maybe it's all in my head, but I think they have.  Andy thought so too.  They're still overlapping, but they're more even, if that makes sense. 

If you want to see what my teeth with Invisalign look like, see my first post here.

I'm also feeling better about wearing them.  I don't feel so awkward.  I went to visit my brother and sister-in-law and they didn't even notice them until I said something about 10 minutes later.  Unless they were lying to make me feel better...  Maybe Andy told them to say that, I don't know.  But anyways...

My 10 Things about Invisalign (so far): 

1.  Your teeth will be sore the first few days of your new trays (aligners).  You put in a new tray every 2 weeks.  Now, I never had braces, so I can't compare how bad the pain is, but I don't think it's too bad.  It's sore more than painful.  I take some Advil and avoid food that I have to bite into, like sandwiches or apples. 

2.  The attachments will feel really rough and you'll think they're sticking out of your mouth.  But they're really not.  It's only week 3 and I barely notice them anymore.  In some lighting, you can't even see them. 

3.  The time you spend on dental hygiene (wow I've never written that word before and had to look it up) will increase.  Of course you have to brush after every meal or snack now.  But you also have to brush the trays, which takes longer than you may think.  You also floss every night.  I'm also using mouthwash at night, too.  Because the trays completely cover your teeth, you don't want anything trapped in there that may cause cavities, so be extra thorough. 




4.  Going out to eat will become a bit of a pain.  You have to bring all your Invisalign stuff, find a good time to take out your trays (which is weird when someone else is at the mirror in the bathroom), and then brush your teeth in a public restroom after.  You may be thinking, why don't you just take them out before you leave the house and put them back in when you get home?  That may work, depending on how long you'll be out of the house.  You're supposed to wear them 22 hours a day, which means you have 2 hours to eat, drink, brush and whatnot.  So I've been taking them out at the restaurant to cut down on the time they're off my teeth.  A couple times I've had a snack at a time or place when it's really not convenient to brush my teeth, so I've used those Wisp disposable brushes.  They work in a pinch, and then I brush when I get home.



5.  If you're someone who likes to enjoy sipping on coffee, pop, or alcohol, you'll have to think twice.  The only thing you can drink while wearing the trays is water.  Anything else, and you have to take them out, drink, brush, and put them back in.  And remember, your trays shouldn't be off your teeth for too many hours in a day.  The positive to this is that it forces you to drink more water, which is a good thing!

6.  You will have to go to the dentist more often.  I am going every 4 weeks for a quick check and to get my new trays.  Not a big deal, but still something that will need to fit into your schedule.

7.  You'll be able to say funny things like "Just a minute, let me go put in my teeth."

8.  This is totally a just-for-me-and-may-not-apply-to-you thing, but I grind my teeth at night.  It causes some trouble for my teeth (cracking and messing up fillings), so wearing Invisalign at night is like a built in mouthguard teeth protector.  So it's a real positive for me.

9.  One thing I like about my new daily routine is that my teeth are all brushed, flossed, and mouthwashed right after dinner.  Then I don't have to worry about doing all that later, when I'm half asleep and just ready to be in bed. 

10.  Seeing and feeling your teeth move will make it all worth it.


So there you have it!  All about Invisalign.  Is anyone out there thinking about getting it?  If you have any questions for me, please leave a comment!

Pin It Now!

21 comments:

  1. first, point #7 cracks me up.
    second, i'm totally not surprised you've never written the word "hygiene" before. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I love this...Logan and I have talked about getting them. We had the same issues with the wisdom teeth causing crowding....grrr! How long do you have to use invisalign?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's supposed to be just 36 weeks for me! But I know there's a chance of it being longer if the teeth don't move quite as expected. We shall see!

      Delete
  3. Hahahahaha! You make me laught so much...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just want to offer two helpful hints. (I am on tray 19 of 32)

    1. Brush your teeth with your invisilign IN before your remove them to brush your teeth and the inside of your invisilign. It is much easer to get some good cleaning action on the outside or your trays if you brush them while they are in.

    2. Carry the little flosser tools in your carrying case. They work GREAT when turned sideways to loop over the top edge of your trays to remove them when they are tight! This will also save you from wrecking your fingernails!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this really helpful tips!Invisalgin is the better option as long as you're a good candidate for it, you can afford it and if you are committed to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the list and graphic of images that would be necessary for traveling and going somewhere when you have invisalign. This really helps me think about how I want to get my teeth fixed. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome blog post! Really is the truth, great read :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips! Thank you! One point of clarification...my orthdontist said you can drink things with the trays in....not just water. Just need to be careful with red wine or coffee/tea. More than one glass you should remove. I have a big glass of red wine the night before the swap of new trays....it wont matter as much then :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. “Seeing and feeling your teeth move will make it all worth it.” - Right! You can have dozens of reasons to complain about getting Invisalign, but you'll have a hundred more to enjoy it in the future. How are you now? I'm pretty sure the treatment worked well for you. :)

    Cody @ ReedOrtho.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My treatment went great! I've been meaning to post a follow up. I finished up in February and I've been so happy with everything.

      Delete
  10. I found this post through google. I just started invisalign today! Any tips of the best way to clean the aligners? I got denture cleaner to help too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I brushed them twice a day in cold water with a little toothpaste! It was a little annoying, but worked pretty well.

      Delete
    2. I was told to definitely NOT use denture cleaner. My dentist recommended some cleaning solution but I can't remember what it was called.

      Delete
  11. Awesome chronicle. Thanks for sharing this with us! I'll be talking to my dentist in Edmonton about getting invisalign pretty soon, myself. I'm excited, now that I've read this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just got my invisalign and four days strong! The first 2 were a bit painful, but it is great how you can immediately feel them working and pulling your teeth. Amazing that these little plastic things will work! Great tips! I wish I would have found your post before I got them, I had no idea I would have to be brushing my teeth all the time. Good thing though, is I am not snacking as much because don't want to take out and go through the whole process of cleaning teeth. I would love to see an after picture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started my invisalign treatment a few days ago and I've tried a few different ways to keep my aligners clean. Today after soaking in vinegar I used my waterpik flosser with the attachment for braces to clean my aligner tray and that worked great. I could brush and rinse at the same time and the brush is small enough to get into every crevice. I think I found my new routine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know your blog is old but so glad i found it on Google search. I just got my invisalign Tuesday and been having a hell of a time since. I have gone back to the dentist twice now...due to the attachments coming off. My bottom tray is a killer! It slices up my tongue if i talk to much...so i'm going back Monday to see what they can do. The dentist said the first day that he didnt like how the bottom one was sitting and might have to re do impressions. Did your bottom tray fit like a glove or did it have "extra" space above your teeth. Thanks for your blog! Glad to hear that your final results were ideal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimberly- I also had a few attachments fall off during the process. At least one in the first couple of days, and I think another later. The inside of my bottom trays did feel sharp sometimes against my tongue, and sometimes the trays didn't sit right at first. It usually took a few days for my teeth to move a bit before they sat all the way down. Hopefully yours start to feel better or your dentist takes new impressions!

      Delete
  15. Just got my Invisalign yesterday... killing my tongue right now! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete