Friday, July 20, 2012

DIY Bar Stool Upgrade

Remember when I was going to do a little weekend project?  I finally finished!  And there was nothing little or weekend about it.  I ended up completing this bar stool upgrade project over the course of four days this week.  Here's how I did it.


Looks like fun, right?  Ready to start?  Here's what you need. 


 I actually ended up using three cans of spray paint, and forgot to use the spray glue. I also had extra fabric (I bought one yard) and only used a little bit of the foam and batting. The foam I used was just a cheap-o mattress topper.

I started by sanding the legs to rough them up a bit.  I have never done this before, but I read it helps the spray paint stick.  I used a higher grit sandpaper, and then gave them a little wipe down before painting.


Next up was to spray paint.  I can't even tell you how many coats I did.  Probably ten?  Is that normal?  I sprayed both upside-down and right-side-up to get all around the rungs.  It really was necessary to do this.

Once the stools were nicely coated, I let them dry for a full day before going on to the next step. 

To get started, I measured around the stool and cut the foam a couple inches wider than the stool top size.  Then I cut the batting a few inches wider than the foam.  I then got to stapling.  First the foam, then the batting.  This is the step where I forgot to spray glue the foam so that it stuck to the top of the stool.  I'm not too worried about it, but you might want to just to make sure it stays in place.  Once it was all stapled, I trimmed off the extra batting.  (I had erred on the side of "too much" rather than "not enough," so I had quite a bit extra to trim.)

 Next I did the same thing with the fabric.  Again, I cut way farther around than I needed to, and ended up trimming 1-2 inches all the way around after I stapled. 

The last step is to admire your new stools! 


What a difference a little paint and fabric can make. 


Total cost of this project?  For me, about $35 for the spray paint and fabric.  Everything else I had on hand. 

Total time for this project?  Mmmmmmmaybe about 3 hours by the time it was all said and done, more if I include paint-wait time between coats, but remember I'm stopping along the way to take pictures.  Also, I've never done any of these things before!  I was a total rookie.  A seasoned pro could probably knock it out in half the time. 

So while my work certainly isn't perfect (you can see the underside is sticking out a bit around the legs), I'm definitely happy I did it.  It's a nice change and was for sure cheaper than buying new bar stools.  The slightly off white color matches our baseboards perfectly, but I think a fun pop of color would have also been nice!  Maybe one of the blue or green colors from the fabric.  But really, I'm way happy with how they turned out! 

So, what do you guys think?  Anyone planning a furniture upgrade soon? 

Linking up to:

Pin It Now!

43 comments:

  1. These look amazing! I love the fabric that you chose..it's beautiful. Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The best news is that it was on sale :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! That's awesome. I would love to upgrade my dining room chairs, maybe I will try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your stools. Great makeover. I love your fabric choice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) You can never go wrong with paisley.

      Delete
  4. Great makeover. They look much more chic than just plain ole light brown. :)

    xoxo,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yeah that light brown wood just wasn't cutting it anymore.

      Delete
  5. WOW. That is one heck of a makeover. Really well done. I have a pair of stools, when I can send them to you to work your magic :). I am actually inspired to give mine a makeover now as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I say go for a fun pop of color!

      Delete
  6. Oh, this is a fabulous makeover. I covered my bar stools as well, but I didn't think of painting the chairs. Now you're giving me more ideas. lol Fabulous makeover!

    * Stopping by from Homemaker on a Dime.

    www.artisticexpressionsbyelisabeth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Glad you found me through Homemaker- I will be checking out your blog!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the great idea! I have the same boring stools and will try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I love them more each time I see them!

      Delete
  8. I so need to do this to mine! Just lovely! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Homemaker on a Dime. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-7.html Hope to see you at the party. Wishing you a grand week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just joined your party and added your link :)

      Delete
  9. wow these are awesome, great job and I love that fabric, just so darling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look gorgeous and you make it all sound so simple!

    Visiting via the Uncommonly Yours Hop :)

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I just checked out your blog and may just have to join the twitter link up party!

      Delete
  11. These turned out great!! I love the fabric, and they look so comfy. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Kathy! Yes, much more comfy than before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how these turned out!! great tutorial! thanks for sharing with us at Uncommon! Featuring this tonight on our FB page! :) Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and for sharing on FB! That's great!

      Delete
  14. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats for being featured at Dedicated House! I love your stools, they are so pretty and really love the fabric you choose - the really do make the stools. Your tutorial is also great so anyone can do themselves. My fingers are crossed you’ll share your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best going on now – sharing such prettiness is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the invite! Your blog design is so pretty! I just linked up my newest wall art project.

      Delete
  16. I have to say you have wonderful taste in fabrics! Check out my post at creatingwonderfulspaces.blogspot.com

    You did a fantastic job and they are definitely transformed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your bar stools really wowwwed me! I can see why they were featured on The Dedicated House. Great tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey! i found your site at the dedicated house: make it pretty monday!

    i love how your bar stools turned out! i actually saved your photos (i hope you don't care) and put it in my inspiration folder - because i will be definitely doing this one of these days!!!

    love, love it!!

    huggies ***
    smart momma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, of course you can use my photos for future reference! I'm glad they can help :)

      Delete
  19. I love your project. Do you know what the name of the fabric that you used is called or where you got it if you don't know the name?

    Thanks,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto! Such a great project and I adore the fabric! Any info you can give on where it's from or what it's called would be appreciated.

      Delete
    2. Hi Sally and D-
      The fabric is called "Paisley Prism" by Waverly and I found it at JoAnns!

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much! I love it!

      Delete
  20. Wow- what a blessing to find your site! We are about to move and my ugly stools were not coming with us!!! I am going to redo those babies and probably sell them! Thank you so much for your post! I appreciate the help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome- thanks for writing!

      Delete
  21. I really loved this idea. And I was lucky enough to find stools for cheap in goodwill. Immediately went to purchase fabric, batting and foam and I love how they turned out. Thank you for your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  22. Emma,
    What is the reason for using batting? Do I have to use it?

    Obviously I'm recently venturing into being crafty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ipalulu- you could probably skip it. I used it as an added layer of padding.

      Delete
  23. Emma,

    Do I have to use the batting? What is the purpose?
    Obviously I am new to venturing into the crafty wife!

    ReplyDelete