Wednesday, July 25, 2012

DIY Tissue Paper Wall Art

Want a project that takes very few supplies and not a lot of moolah?  Try this tissue paper wall art!


Here's all you need.


I picked my tissue paper up at Party City for about $1 each.  The decorative one was around $2.  I chose yellow and gray because those are the colors of my sister's wedding next summer, so if she likes the way this turned out, she can use it at the reception. 

The steps for this project are really easy.  First, you need to cut out squares from the tissue paper.  Mine varied in size from about 1 inch to 2 inches square.  You can see I kept the paper folded over and cut strips first, then squares.  That really helped to save time. 


Once I had cut squares out of one piece of tissue paper per color, I started putting them on the canvas with mod podge.  This step is also called "mod podge your face off." 

(Sidenote:  I have always called this "modge podge" but I recently looked at the bottle and it's actually called "mod podge."  Whoa.  This blew my mind.  How long have I been saying this wrong?) 


Sometimes, less is more. With this project, I found that more is more. The more I layered, the better it looked. You can do any pattern you want, but I wanted to group my colors a little bit. 

The last step was to line the edges with the decorative paper.  I chose a wedding-y pattern just in case it shows up at the reception somewhere. 


Total cost of this project?  Less than $10 with coupons and sales.

Total time spent?  Probably an hour or so, along with some wait-time in between mod podge coats.

My verdict? I like it, but I don't love it. I won't be offended in the least if my sister doesn't like it. I think what I don't like is the gray- it's too dark for the yellow. The gray was also technically silver, so it was kind of metallic, which made the blending not as pretty.

I would love to try this again with different colors! I have a package of pastels (light pink, light yellow, light purple, light blue), which I think would look great together for some nursery art, but since I don't need any nursery art yet (sorry, mom), I didn't use those colors. Maybe I'll try it for my next friend who has a little babe :)

If you DO have kids, I think this would be a fun project to do with them!  You parents know better than me, but I would guess that depending on their ages, they could go from just helping place the squares, to doing it all themselves.  And how cute would it be if you cut out letters and put his/her name on top? 

If you try it, let me know!  I would love to see your versions- especially ones with a better color scheme than mine!

Linking up at:
Someday Crafts
Beyond the Picket Fence
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
AKA Design
Simply Designing
Homemaker on a Dime
The Dedicated House
My 1929 Charmer



Pin It Now!

11 comments:

  1. This looks like something I would expect to see in a fancy museum being auctioned off at $4000. And yes that's a compliment ;) Good work!I just found your blog through the simply link party!

    -Milynn
    Love and Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll have to stop by your blog :)

      Delete
  2. Josh and I like this! Wedding approved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pamela and jg! I want to try again with different colors...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look museum quality and feel. Very nice piece, you do very nice work. I wonder did you make "tags" on your photos with PicMonkey. Curious they look really pretty! So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – your creativity helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! I put the tags on in Illustrator, but I'm sure there's other software that does the same thing.

      Delete