Thursday, August 16, 2012

a photo tour of some of my favorite stores

Hi guys!  So ever since painting the basement, I've been heading out to local discount stores every day to see what's out there that we could use to complete the space.  We also took a day trip to Ikea and found a few things. 

One of the first finds at Ikea were these curtain wires that were displayed as photo hangers.  We thought this would work as kind of a modern bulletin board to be hung above our desk.  Two wires with clips came home with us!  Aren't they cool?  I'm sure you could DIY something like this pretty darn easily, too. 

I loved this purple painted cabinet- my photo isn't great- it's much much prettier in person. 

We've been wanting a new office chair and I'm pushing for white.  This one is from Staples.  I think it would help to brighten the basement and be a nice contrast to our dark wood desk and bookcases.


Next up, Gordmans!  I am so in love with Gordmans!  They have amazing discounted items, and tons of home decor.  I love browsing around their vases and artwork especially.

Here's some art I covet.  We're looking for two long canvases to flank the curtain wire from Ikea that we bought.  Most of the long skinny canvases were 3 ft. by 1 ft. and cost $20- $30. 



I love this heart sculpture so much.  I think it's only $15.00.  So.... I should get it, right?

There are also always lots of chairs available, each around $100.  Some day, I would love to own a cool chair like these, or like this one from Pier 1.  



Next up are the lamps.  I love the shape of this big floor lamp.  I think it would look awesome over a desk or in a reading nook.  And the orange one would be an awesome color pop on our desk.


Here we have the vases and owls!  Oh, the vases.  How beautiful is this colorful selection?  I would take any of them in a heartbeat.  Then there were two whole shelves of owl sculptures!  I know owls are in right now, and I'm glad because how cool are they?  I think the tootsie pop owl really started it all... it just took a few decades to catch on.  


Last up is my trip to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore.   I love browsing around there.  We really want a big armoire or old media cabinet to convert to office storage in the basement.  I would love to paint this guy white or even a color like light blue, add shelves, and use it to store our office and craft supplies.  It would be perfect.

And look at the beauty of that old frame!  It it only had a mirror in it, I would have snatched it up, but I'm just not sure what I would do with it.  Any ideas?




Our office desk is in the basement, so it's a big open space, next to a living room/ t.v. area.  There's also a ledge that goes halfway up the wall on 3 sides.  It's an awesome space to have, but a bit awkward, and pretty long and narrow.  

What do you do for office/ craft storage?  Do you house it all in a big cabinet?  Open storage?  Bins and baskets?  Shelves?  Any ideas for me? 



Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. I don't have tons of craft storage simply because I don't have anywhere to keep tons of it but before we moved here I kept it all in bins and organized on a shelve. I still do the same thing but smaller scale. If I had tons of craft stuff and plenty of room I would do something like a cabinet to store it all neatly. I'm not really big on the open storage look. I feel like it can look really cluttered.

    xoxo,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our supplies and storage are growing all the time. We have some cabinetts, formerly used for cloth and many shelfs with cardboard boxes, to name it Ikea's Pappis Boxes are cheap and have a good size for our paper products. We have our patterns glued on them or mark them with Washi Tape.
    Anything textile is in see through Ikea Samla boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those suggestions! We did find a great armoire that we're going to fix up to use for storage, so I'm excited to get the inside organized!

      Delete
  3. weird that my group of friends is called the "owls". and then owls became so popular. seriously, like 6 years ago or so and now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up some owls that I'm going to use as stencils in a project... want me to make presents for you and your friends? :)

      Delete