Friday, August 10, 2012

DIY Quote Canvas

You're probably getting the feeling that I like making wall art.  If so, then you're right :)  I also love sharing it with you so that you can try it yourself and make it fit your family!  Here's my easiest wall art yet, and the best part is that you can change it up any way you want.



I originally saw an idea like this from pinterest last winter, and we made some little canvases with Christmas tree stickers and little stars and created winter scenes.  I can't find that pin right now, I apologize.  But if you search something like "paint and sticker canvas" you'll probably find some other great ideas.

The quote I chose is from my hilarious husband, Andy!  I wanted to make a surprise for him so bad, and the original quote I wanted to use (Charlie's hit song from LOST "You all everybody," read more here if you don't know what I'm talking about and want to know... it's pretty funny I think) wouldn't fit on the canvas, so I had to regroup.  I also didn't have enough Ys in my letter package.

The story behind this quote is that Andy has a very funny sarcastic sense of humor.  MOST of the time, you'll find me cracking up at everything he says, but every once in a while, either a joke falls flat or I'm not sure if he's joking or not.  That's when I give him the look, and he says "That was a joke, you know?  Jokes are funny?"



Cue my laughter.

His other line is "The best jokes are the ones you have to explain."  But I didn't have enough letters for that either.

Anyways, please choose a quote that is meaningful/ funny for you and your family!  It's so easy, so let's get started!




First, I coated my canvas with some nice bright white spray paint.  I think this step helps the tape and sticker lines turn out crisper.  Crispier?  Nice and crispy.  What does that remind me of?  McDonald's fries or something?  (Side note:  I just googled the word "crispier" and was given the definition "a pleasingly firm, dry and brittle surface" and the example phrase, "crispy fried bacon."  Ha... that's funny to me for some reason.)

Okay, back to the canvas.  The next step is to stick on your letters.  I wanted mine straight, so I marked a faint line with a pencil and ruler, making sure to stick my letters above the line so it would disappear when I spray painted over it.

If you want stripes or another pattern, tape that off now too.  Now is also when you should tape off the sides, if you want them to remain white.  Or you can make the stripes continue over the edge- it just makes the spray painting part slightly more tedious to make sure you get all around.  I actually forgot this step and ended up going back later and covering the whole front to repaint the sides white. 



I painted several light, even coats and then let it dry before peeling off the tape and stickers.

Here's where you can see one of my mistakes (see the next photo)- I bought felt stickers.  Some of the fuzzies got plastered down to the canvas when spraying, and those parts remained fuzzy white.  I didn't like that.  Cue my crazy perfectionist attempts to touch up the letters with a tooth pick.  I also had a chunk of semi-dry purple paint fall off onto the white stripe and make an ugly purple spot, so I touched that up with white paint and a Q tip.

Actually, touching up wasn't a big deal, and I'm glad I spent the time doing it.  No, it's still not perfect if you inspect it close up, but it looks great from a few steps back. 

But I hope I'm saving you the trouble- don't buy felt letters!  There are lots of other kinds that will work.  Those thick foam ones might be nice because they're smooth but can be gripped easily when pulling them off.
 


And you're done!  Easy, right?  Especially if it all comes out crisp and clean the first time.




Has anyone else tried the old tape and sticker spray paint canvas trick?  I LOVE it!  Please leave a comment with a link to your project if you've done it before, or if you decide to try it!

Linking up here:
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
AKA Design
Chase the Star 
Simply Designing 
Homemaker on a Dime


Pin It Now!

11 comments:

  1. Great idea. I'll have to try it sometime. Thanks for sharing.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how personal this is because you used a quote from your hubby! My husband says the dumbest.. I mean, funniest things that make me laugh 'til I cry. ;) I might have to try out this idea! I would love if you shared this at my Throwback Thursday party. I hope to see you there! Thanks for sharing :) http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-5/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like this very much. Looks easy and like something I would try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Love using vinyl stickers for word art! I like the overall black and white look too! Thanks for joining the Keep Calm and Link Up party! Hope to see you there again next week!
    Barbara @ Chase the Star

    ReplyDelete
  5. super cute! I did mine on a larger scale though, check it out here
    http://creatingdomesticbliss.blogspot.ca/2012/04/plywood-artwork.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow I love yours! Love the look the plywood gives to the letters.

      Delete
  6. This looks amazing! You got the lines so sharp! Definitely something I would like to try. We have never done a sticker wall art.... but we recently did a pin and thread wall art that was a lot of fun!

    http://meetmakelaugh.blogspot.ca/2012/08/meetmakethread-art.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving your link! I just checked it out- awesome!

      Delete
  7. I saw this today ...

    I did my take on it this evening ..

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151886423839409&l=e5af8bbc4c

    ReplyDelete