Friday, September 7, 2012

my husband loves this stuff

Over the long holiday weekend, we headed out to Washington D.C. to visit family.  Our first stop was Andy's choice: to see the space shuttle, Discovery.  It's at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum

It was so so BIG!  And pretty amazing to be standing a few arms lengths away from it.  I mean, this has been in space!  Crazy...  


I'm not into space exploration very much... it's one of those things that my little mind just can't fathom, so I just choose not to think about it.  I see pictures, I learned about the planets in school, I listen to Andy tell me what he's read, but then my brain just explodes inside when I really think about it all.  That's probably weird to say, but it's true.  Do you know how big some of the planets really are, compared to Earth?  It's nothing like those nice pictures from our 4th grade science textbooks.  Or how far away the sun really is??  Or how small our solar system really is compared to the universe???  And don't even get me started on how people ever figured out that we could launch a rocket into space.  And then they built it.  And then sent people in it.  And then those people stood on the moon.   Whoa.  Brain exploding.  But anyways, Andy LOVES IT.  So to the museum we went, and I have to say, I'm so glad we did.

If you love space like Andy, here's a good documentary I bought him for Christmas last year that you might be interested in.

Have any of you gone to see the shuttle?  Any other brains exploding out there?  I'd hate to think I'm the only one...

Happy Friday everyone!

Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. I was at that museum last October! I don't normally think about space much either, but trying to conceptualize the entire universe is pretty mind-blowing. We're just a tiny speck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I am a follower from Etsy.
    Please visit and enter the Giveaway on my blog:
    http://www.azlifeandstyle.com/2012/09/blog-giveaway-from-sweetest-memory.html

    Thank you,

    Ali =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love space shuttles!

    ReplyDelete