Tuesday, October 30, 2012

pu pu pu pumpkin drawing

For the last couple weeks, we were drawing this pumpkin/ fall/ awesome still life in drawing class!


Yikes, sorry for the really blurry picture- sometimes my little camera is not my friend when I don't use the flash... It's also not a perfect representation of how it looked to me in person from sitting at my desk, and things moved a little from day to day from being moved around the room- like the sticks....

But you get the idea!  This is actually how I cropped the objects for my drawing- there was also a mask and a mannequin and a little figure running from other angles.  So fun.  But I just couldn't get enough of the pumpkins, and that mirror!  How cool is it?

Our assignment was to use black and white charcoal and/ or white pastel on a grey tone paper, to start with a medium value.  I loved it!  We also had to use at least 3 of 4 charcoal techniques- smudging, hatching, cross hatching, and stippling.  My strategy was to get all the basic values in for the shapes and shadows, then smudge it all, and finally go in with the other 3 techniques to give texture and more pops of value everywhere. 

I'm really happy with the result!


Here's a side by side for my mom :)


Can you see all the techniques I used?  What do you think?

Happy Tuesday!  We'll be passing out candy to all the little monsters and princesses tonight over here.  How about you?


Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic! Good plan to use the techniques over shading, I think it gives it a lot of depth. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma! The side by side helped. What do I think? I think you are an artist! I loved the baskets. Also nice job on the mirror...that looked hard to do. No little monsters for me, I'm off to my dulcimer class. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Emma. This is amazing!!!! You are so talented! (sorry I've been out of the loop on your blog. I miss you. I miss sleep.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I missed sleep very much two weeks ago! School was crazy!

      Delete
  4. Love it, I think it looks really interesting as a drawing!

    ReplyDelete