For the last couple weeks, we were drawing this pumpkin/ fall/ awesome still life in drawing class!
Yikes, sorry for the really blurry picture- sometimes my little camera is not my friend when I don't use the flash... It's also not a perfect representation of how it looked to me in person from sitting at my desk, and things moved a little from day to day from being moved around the room- like the sticks....
But you get the idea! This is actually how I cropped the objects for my drawing- there was also a mask and a mannequin and a little figure running from other angles. So fun. But I just couldn't get enough of the pumpkins, and that mirror! How cool is it?
Our assignment was to use black and white charcoal and/ or white pastel on a grey tone paper, to start with a medium value. I loved it! We also had to use at least 3 of 4 charcoal techniques- smudging, hatching, cross hatching, and stippling. My strategy was to get all the basic values in for the shapes and shadows, then smudge it all, and finally go in with the other 3 techniques to give texture and more pops of value everywhere.
I'm really happy with the result!
Here's a side by side for my mom :)
Can you see all the techniques I used? What do you think?
Happy Tuesday! We'll be passing out candy to all the little monsters and princesses tonight over here. How about you?
Pin It Now!



It looks fantastic! Good plan to use the techniques over shading, I think it gives it a lot of depth. :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you Paige!
DeleteThanks Emma! The side by side helped. What do I think? I think you are an artist! I loved the baskets. Also nice job on the mirror...that looked hard to do. No little monsters for me, I'm off to my dulcimer class. :)
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, Emma. This is amazing!!!! You are so talented! (sorry I've been out of the loop on your blog. I miss you. I miss sleep.)
ReplyDeleteHaha, I missed sleep very much two weeks ago! School was crazy!
DeleteLove it, I think it looks really interesting as a drawing!
ReplyDelete