Friday, October 5, 2012

Thrifty art purchases including my favorite print of all time

 First purchase:  the set of Andy Warhol inspired Campbell's soup cans from Target!  I mean honestly, they only cost 75 cents each!  My plan is to cut off the labels and frame them as prints, and I'm so excited to see them up on the wall!  Beautiful and so so fun.

Second purchase!  When my friend Erin was visiting, we decided to peruse some local vintage stores in search of wedding decor for her reception... but look what I found for myself! 

 Holy oh my gosh!  I picked it up and did not put it down until it was resting safely in the bag after I bought it.  I don't often make impulse purchases, but I just HAD TO HAVE this!  Look at that sweet child's face all glowing... with that lighting... and that bright book cover... I can't look away!  It was like it had the strongest Earth magnet inside and attached itself to me.  An amazing print to encourage children to read?!?!  Um, could I love anything more?!?! 

Here's what was written on the back.  To add to my love for this print, it was from the year my grandma was born.  I can't even take it, I love it so much.  Jon Brubaker, you are a genius.

So before I decided to stop teaching, I had just started my master's program in Reading.  I loved loved loved teaching reading.  It was my favorite part of the day, and I was hoping to one day be a reading specialist and really help students and a school in a broader way.  But then... well, you know how that story ended...  But just because I left my teaching career doesn't mean I stopped loving kids or caring about literacy.  I love reading, look forward to reading with my own children one day, and hope to be involved with children and literacy in some way in the future.  Like maybe designing reading program layouts/ graphics?  Illustrating children's books?  Working for a company that is child focused?  Designing educational websites?  Fingers are crossed starting now until my dreams come true :)

You can read more about Children's Book Week here.  Please help promote literacy!


Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. The script on the back is a beautiful little detail! Your love for this print is contagious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful find! the poster is so neat, and from 1925, that's very cool. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the print. Thats a great find.

    ReplyDelete