Monday, February 18, 2013

Illustration Friday- WOOL

This week's illustration topic was wool!  Fun!  I couldn't wait to try out something new, and here's how it ended up. 


I love the look of a mix of traditional and digital techniques, and I've really been wanting to play with it more to see what I can come up with.  So here's how I got this particular look.

We've been working with soft pastels in drawing class, so I thought I'd give them a try this week to draw some sheep.  To be honest, I've been struggling with them for some reason, so any chance to use them more is a good thing.  Then I added a streaky sky with my watercolor pencils.  And here's the image I started with:


Not too pretty yet.  But I knew I was going to just use it to play around digitally, so it didn't have to look great or finished at this point.  So first I scanned it and deepened the colors a bit in Photoshop.  Then I took it into Illustrator and tried the different live trace settings to see how I could get it to look. 

I ended up liking parts of the Color 6, Simple Trace, and Comic Book versions, so I saved each of them and then took everything back into Photoshop.


That's when I got to have fun, cut apart the images, use the parts I liked & delete what I didn't like, mess with the layer modes, rearrange, flip, duplicate parts, change the colors, and basically collage everything into my final image!


How do you think it turned out? 

You can go check out all the other "wool" themed illustrations at Illustration Friday!




Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. The soft colors really stand out against the black and love the process shots!

    xoxo - Brandi

    PS - thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very very cool! Love the strong black shapes against the subtle blue background...has the effect of looking like a printing technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I thought the same thing- it gave the look of a print which I love.

      Delete