Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Illustration Friday- Wings

I've been seeing some bloggers and artists mentioning the website Illustration Friday and I thought I'd go see what it was all about. 

It's a fun weekly art challenge that anyone can participate in.  Each week there is a theme, and you can draw, paint, create, doodle, etc. your interpretation of the theme, and then link up your image for all to see! 

I think this is a good chance for me to try new techniques and topics that I may not do for myself or for school work, and it will be a good way for me to learn more and experiment without any pressure to make it 'perfect.'

This week's topic was WINGS.


I drew this in ink in my little 7x7 sketchbook, and I didn't even plan it out right and it ran off the page, hence the obvious break in the page right at the swan's head. 

Then I scanned it, painted it loosely in Photoshop and then ran the sponge filter on the paint layer. 

It's actually based off of a bird called the whooper swan I found in an article in National Geographic magazine.  The pictures were so beautiful; the swans are really plain bright white with black feet, and the setting was a snow covered wonderland. 

Are there any other art/ drawing challenges I should know about? 

Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. I think it looks straight out of a children's book. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. I thought it was a goose but I'm no bird expert. I thought it was a very cool goose! And welcome to Illustration Friday! Others I've heard a lot are Paint Party Friday and Watercolor Wednesday (but I don't do either so I can't tell you much more about them!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! I'm looking forward to continuing Illustration Friday!

      Delete