Monday, August 6, 2012

that one time we got lost in a maze


Today I thought I’d share a memory with you guys.  The theme for today’s photo challenge at Mercantile Muse was retro groove, and lookie what gem I found in my photo archive?



And thus I find that today is the perfect time to share the story of the Dole Plantation Maze. 

The setting:  Oahu, Hawaii, 2010
The characters:  Me, Andy, lots of smart kids, lots of snails

Andy and I took a big trip to Hawaii two years ago (best vacation ever).  One morning we decided to be touristy and go to the Dole Plantation.  Well, we got there and decided to be even more touristy and bought tickets to do the maze.  I mean, it was the world's largest maze!  How could we resist?  Sounded like an okay idea.   

But approximately two hours later, we found ourselves covered in bugs and dripping with sweat and frustration and lost in that stupid maze!  A maze that tiny children were happily running around in and escaping from left and right.  But oh no, there we were.  I’m talking honest to goodness lost, and feeling trapped!  We realized this wasn’t some ha-ha-fun-times -oh-golly-gee-a-maze maze.  (Maybe we should have taken a look at these photos before we decided to try it.) 

This was serious.  We could see the exit but couldn’t get there.  Time continued to tick by and we started to mildly panic (okay maybe that was just me).  Not like {ahh we’re gonna die!} but more like {we’re on this beautiful vacation and yet here we are wasting hours in a maze?!? A MAZE?!?! WHY???}

Did I mention we were surrounded not only by happy kids finding their way out in 30 seconds flat, but by no fewer than 200 snails mating in the bushes at every turn?  You heard me.  Snails.  Mating.  This was how we chose to spend our once in a lifetime vacation in paradise? 


Oh yeah and see that fun little card I'm holding?  You were supposed to find these little hidden booths and get the stamp or something at each one.  See how mine is blank?  Yeah, we weren't very good at finding those.  We totally failed at this maze.  I mean, honestly.

Well anyways, long story short, we made it out alive, saw some gorgeous flowers, snapped a few photos, took a train ride (Andy loves trains… LOVES TRAINS), ate some pineapple whip ice cream, bought a bag of chocolate covered macadamia nuts, and called it a day.  

In summary-   Hawaii: good.  Mazes in Hawaii: bad.


But I can't really complain, because it was beautiful there.  Hawaii is exactly how you expect it to be.  Everything is just as beautiful as the pictures, it's just unbelievable.  Best place ever.  If you get the chance, you should go.  Just don't try the maze.  

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! That maze sounds terrible! My husband and I got lost in a corn maze so I can't even imagine getting lost in the world's largest maze with mating snails. Your pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete