Monday, August 13, 2012

today I am not a teacher. part two

Today I am not a teacher.

This morning I didn't know if I was happy or sad.

But today, I was happy.  Only happy.

So today, I know I made the right choice.

I drove by school and saw the parking lot full of cars, and I was thankful it wasn't me.

Today I didn't feel the pressure of being responsible for little lives.

I didn't feel worried or overwhelmed.

Today I felt free, knowing that my responsibilities for the next year will not include students, parents, administrators, the school district, or state.  

Today I was filled with anticipation and excitement for a new year.  But this year it will be for me.

Today I went to campus and bought my design books.

And even though I was surrounded by people a decade younger than me, I didn't care.

I ate lunch while reading about designing with type, and I was so excited I thought my heart might leap from my chest.

Today I drove all around town searching through thrift stores for my next project.

Today I went to the library to rent season two of Arrested Development, and when we watched it tonight, I laughed so hard.

Today I read magazines at the bookstore and treated myself to Starbucks.

Today I created a new fabric design.

I loved today.

Today I  know that being a teacher isn't the only way to be a good person.

I know I will find other ways to be helpful and caring and to make a difference.

I can still be who I was as a teacher.  I didn't give up myself when I left that career.  I am still me.

Today I am happy.

Because today, I am not a teacher.



Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you found your happy. I have a few teachers in my family and sometimes i'm just not sure how they do it. I love my daughter but working with kids all day would be a stress i'm not sure I would be able to do.

    xoxo,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa. Yes, I am hoping my next career will be down a few notches on the stress meter :) I hope the teachers in your family have a good school year!

      Delete
  2. Hi Emma, thanks for stopping by my blog. I found your story interesting because I also made a switch - I went from being a Speech Language Pathologist to artist. It is *very* different! Your photos are lovely and I'm glad you are feeling happy about your choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for your new adventure Emma! I can't wait to see all that you create along the journey! You are an incredible designer!! -Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tara :) I love following your fabric designs!

      Delete
  4. mind if I share this on my FB because you said it so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, feel free to share :) I'm so glad another former teacher found it!

      Delete