Tuesday, September 25, 2012

my self portrait project

Last week, I was assigned two self portrait projects.  One is being done in Photoshop and seems to be pretty fun, but we just got started on that one.  This one was for my 2D Design class and had to be done in black and white, using simple printing techniques.  Basically, the paint had to be stamped in some way, and there could be no strokes made with a pencil, pen, brush, etc.

This was so scary for me because I've never felt confident about drawing faces, at least realistic ones.  It was also scary to do this on 20 x 25 paper without being able to sketch it first!  I was at the mercy of my paint.  But it was also really really fun, and it turned into something I'm really proud of.

I stamped the paint on with crumpled paper, the sides of an eraser, smaller rectangles cut out of the side of an eraser, and folded cardstock.  I wanted it to look like an impressionist painting, with thick paint built up in layers, and sort of whimsical and imperfect.  Though not every piece of hair curled how I wanted it to, I love how it turned out overall!

Here's a little step by step of my process.  I'm so glad I decided to do an overall grey textured background, to really help the profile pop off the paper.


I almost decided to leave it with just the profile and no hair... but I wondered if it was just too plain that way.  At least for a class project.  The hair was tough to curl the right way by stamping it, and didn't turn out as good as the sketch, which was a little disappointing. 


Here's the finished product, with some close ups of the texture that I love.  This project became meaningful for me, because I wanted to capture how I'm feeling at this stage in my life.  If I were to give it a title, it would probably be Free. 


How do you think it turned out? 


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emma, Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comment.
    I think your porject turned out great. My son is in an Art Degree Program and his taking a 2D class, but I have not seen much of his work. He is away at college, so I see it on his facebook?? It looks like you are really awesome artist, I can't wait to see what else you do. I am a follower now.
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words!

      Delete