Thursday, May 31, 2012

What's in a Name

You may be wondering how my blog got it's name.  Or maybe why I even have a blog.  Or why I started one now. 

When I first decided to leave my teaching career to go back to school, I was talking to my friend Julie, and she told me there are lots of graphic designers on Etsy.  I had never heard of Etsy before!  So I immediately looked it up and have been hooked ever since.  (Thanks, Julie!)  It's this amazing online marketplace for handmade goods.  You can check it out for yourself here. 

I began reading the forums, browsing through shops, and learning about successful sellers in the "Quit Your Day Job" blog series.  I started thinking, I want to do this, but I knew I needed to learn more about how to make it work for me.  I found these two books and read them both cover to cover!



Mom, Inc. by Meg Mateo Ilasco & Cat Seto can be found here.
How to Make Money using Etsy by Timothy Adam can be found here.


Both books recommended starting a blog to accompany your small business, and so here I am!  My Etsy shop is in the works, and I hope to open by the end of the summer!   

As for my name, I knew I wanted it to be unique.  Something fun and memorable, but meaningful.  I came up with Boju, which is a combination of my parents' names. 


In a way, Boju is me!  I love the way it sounds, and it makes me feel happy. 

So, here I am, beginning my new life.  It feels pretty amazing.  I never, ever would have imagined I'd be doing ANY of this right now.  I thought I'd be a teacher until I retired.  But I totally changed the course of my life.  I have always loved and appreciated art, and now I'm loving creating it.  I am so excited to learn and do more, and I have so many dreams for Boju in the future!

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. (I read this blog last week but didn't comment because I didn't have an account name.) You're welcome! Etsy is addicting and I know you will do great with it. I've never heard of that book but I want to take a look at it. I'm glad you explained Boju because I was going to ask about it- it's cute and catchy!

    ReplyDelete