Monday, October 8, 2012

My principles of design collage book

Hi everyone & happy Monday!

A few weeks ago, I completed a project for my 2D design class that took hours and hours and hours... and our relationship was definitely touch and go for a while there...

But when I finally finished, I could not have been more proud of the finished product!

The assignment was to:

1.  Make a book out of paper, chip board, thread, and fancy paper.
2.  Create a spread for each of the 8 principles of design, using both collaged images and hand applied media, to show complete understanding of each principle.
3.  Use cut out images from books or magazines in each spread.
4.  Add your own black and white "stuff" to each spread.

Here's my book!

Completely unnecessary disclaimer:  The obviously professional cut out images are not my own, and I do not claim them to be.  They were used in this project for educational purposes.


I really wanted each spread to have images that represented the principle, plus I wanted the collage as a whole to represent the principle, and I wanted the written title to represent the principle.

I spent forever finding images, planning what I could draw on each page, how I could connect everything, and how I could make sure it all came together to represent the principle of design.  I also spent a lot of time sketching the titles, writing them on graph paper, tracing them, and writing them in with ink.

Some problems I had included the book not opening and closing correctly (I had to cut it apart and make it again), the ink bleeding through (luckily this happened before I had everything glued in, so I was able to change some layouts to cover it up), and time management in general (I bet this took 20+ hours, which was frustrating to find time for in one week, knowing it was just worth 20 points!)

When I showed it to Andy, he said "Looks pretty cool... but I don't really get it."

Hahaha... oh Andy...

So... how do you think it turned out?  Do you 'get it'?  



Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. This is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my entire life. How are you so good at EVERYTHINGGGGGG???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it turned out great! good job and you should be proud of yourself.
    Debbi
    -yankeeburrowcreations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It turned out so GREAT!!! I really like the "variety" pages, but all of it is really good. You did a great job!
    I'm a new follower, and glad to be here.
    ~Kim
    2justByou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get it! I love it! And I can't believe this was an assignment for one week! That's crazytown. Your teacher must think you have a time machine or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Emma! Cool book! I am going to show my book too someday :D
    Thank you for your nice comment on my blog about "Have you been kind today?"

    ;)

    ReplyDelete