Thursday, June 28, 2012

A Letter to my Students

Dear You,

I am writing to let you know a few things.  I want you to know that I did not leave teaching because of you.  No.  You are the reason I was a teacher, and you are the part of teaching that I will miss.  While one year may not be such a long time in the grand scheme of things, it was long enough to meet and know each of you.  It was long enough to care for you more than you know.  It was long enough to be so proud of you and your accomplishments.  And it was long enough to never forget you.

I have many wishes for each of you.  If you are reading this tomorrow, I hope you are enjoying your summer vacation.  I hope you are spending time with family and friends, and I hope you are reading.  Find some good books at the library and get lost in that world.  Play outside!  Ride your bike and wear your helmet.  Enjoy life! 

And if you are reading this in five years, some of you will already have graduated from high school.  Wow, congratulations!  I know you worked hard for that!  I hope you are doing well in college or in your career.  I hope you have big dreams for yourself and believe that you can achieve them.  I do.  Some of you will be in high school.  I hope you have lots of good friends who are positive influences in your life.  I hope you are careful while you drive.  I hope you are doing your best in school even when it's hard.  Even when it's overwhelming, I know you can do it.  I hope you know you can too. 

And if you are reading this in ten or even twenty years, some of you may be married with a family of your own.  I hope you have met many goals you had for yourself, have set new ones, and are working toward those.  I hope you are happy with whatever it is you choose to do.  You deserve to be happy.  Know that I remember you.  Know that I am proud of you now.  Know that I am still thinking of you.  I wish you well always.

Yes, you are the reason I became a teacher.  You are the reason I loved teaching.  You are the reason I will look back at that time in my life and smile.  Really big. 

Love,
Me


Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I teach. I get this. Such a beautiful, beautiful letter. :-)

    ReplyDelete