Friday, June 22, 2012

Magazine Page Layout

Hey!  Last week, my class took a break from illustrating, and worked with text.  It was really fun!  I love love type and fonts, so I was really happy to learn more.  I learned that the "Golden Rule of Font Selection" is to never use more than two fonts in whatever you're creating.  No matter how long or short.  Veeeeeeery interesting...  One of our assignments was to create a magazine page layout.  It could look any way we wanted it to, with any genre of magazine we chose.  We started with this page of text, called "Lorem Ipsum," which is a dummy text used by designers when creating layouts.  I guess it's been around since the 1500s or something.  Again, veeeeery interesting... 

So here's what I started with:
And here's what I made:

Though not everyone may get excited by something like this, I do!  At first it was daunting, like how am I supposed to make a magazine layout, from words I don't know, for a purpose I don't know, with a title, headings, and quotes that I make up?  But I'm glad I tried, because I think it came together in the end. 

Happy Friday!

Pin It Now!

1 comment: